Skip to main content

Here is a quick summary of resources that are available to the campus community. EOC can help connect you to these important support and reporting options if you or someone you know has experienced an incident.

Keep in mind that the University’s Policies prohibit a broad range of conduct, including acts that are prohibited by criminal law and those that are not. Therefore, some of the resources below may not apply to you. Choose the resources that best meet your needs following an incident.

Support and Resources

Download a quick summary of resources.

The contact information for each of the types of resources is listed below. There are multiple options listed for each type of resource. Choose the options you feel most comfortable seeking assistance from.

You are encouraged to report sexual assault, violence, and stalking to local law enforcement agencies regardless of when the incident occurred. Reporting to law enforcement may allow for a criminal investigation to be conducted and criminal charges to follow. Only law enforcement can conduct a criminal investigation for the purpose of pursing criminal charges. For emergency situations, dial 911 for immediate assistance. If you call 911 on campus, UNC Police (campus police) will respond. For non-emergency situations, call local law enforcement or UNC Police’s non-emergency number and ask to speak with an investigator. UNC Police will inform the necessary University staff of the incident. If you are not ready to file a report with law enforcement, you can still call a local law enforcement agency and ask to speak with an investigator about what would happen if you file a report and the protective orders that are available.

If you have experienced physical or sexual violence, you are encouraged to seek confidential medical support from Campus Health Services or the Emergency Department at UNC Hospitals. These services may include a forensic exam, general examination, evidence collection, pregnancy testing and prevention, and/or testing for and treatment of sexually transmitted infections. A forensic exam can be obtained from these locations up to 5 days after an assault. Emergency contraception can be obtained from a pharmacist in North Carolina without a prescription or medical examination. Financial assistance for these services may be available through several funds, including the Survivor’s Assistance Fund (visit You are encouraged to consider preserving evidence (e.g., evidence collection, forensic exams, and documenting the event) as soon as possible after an incident regardless of whether you have made the decision to contact law enforcement and/or to report the incident to the University. Evidence collected can be used to support a report if you make the decision to pursue these options at a later time. Learn more about evidence preservation. >>

  • Campus Health Services (for students and postdoctoral scholars) | 919-966-2281 | Monday–Friday, 8am–5pm
    Regardless of your gender identity, you should proceed directly to Women’s Health on the third floor of Campus Health Services (James Taylor Building).
  • Emergency Department at UNC Hospitals (for employees, students, and the community) | 919-966-4721 | 24 hours

You can obtain confidential emotional and psychological support at any time. You can access these services regardless of when and where the incident occurred and whether you make the decision to contact law enforcement and/or to report the incident to the University.

  • Gender Violence Services Coordinators (for all members of the campus community who have experienced an incident) | | Monday–Friday, 9am–4pm
  • University Ombuds Office (for all members of the campus community) | 919-843-8204 | Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm (other times available on request)
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (caps) (psychological and emotional support for students and postdoctoral scholars)| 919-966-3658 | Monday–Friday, 8am–5pm
  • ComPsych Employee Assistance Program (for employees) | 877-314-5841 | 24 hours
  • Orange County Rape Crisis Center (for employees, students, and the community) | 919-967-7273 | 24 hour hotline
  • Compass Center for Women and Families (for employees, students, and the community) | 919-929-7122 | 24 hour hotline

The University’s Policy provides options for addressing the incident. At the time a report is made, you are not required to decide on any particular course of action. Choosing how to move forward after reporting the incident is a personal decision that may change over time. While you can report incidents anonymously (e.g., online on UNC Police’s “Silent Witness” website, paper forms in several restrooms in the Union), you are encouraged to report the incident to one of the below. The following contacts can also talk with you about available interim measures. These measures can include academic accommodations (e.g., rescheduled exams), changes to class schedules and housing, changes to work schedules, and no-contact orders on campus.

Equal Opportunity and Compliance (EOC) Office

If you believe you would benefit from a stalking and harassment protective order, domestic violence protective order, or other forms of relief, the following contacts can provide you with more information and can connect you to the court system: the Report and Response Coordinators, Gender Violence Services Coordinator, EOC, Orange County Rape Crisis Center, and Compass Center for Women and Families.

View copies of brochures with resource information. >>